Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Algae Networks of the Future

Algae Tower housing clusters at downtown

Algae Aquaculture and Tower zone at downtown SF Bay waterfront

Hydro-Net, by San Francisco architects IwamotoScott, who spoke last year at BLDGBLOG's San Francisco event, has been making the rounds lately, popping up on all sorts of architecture and design blogs – but rightly so: it won first prize in the History Channel's recent "City of the Future" competition, and it offers up some fascinating urban re-design ideas...

...Leading me to ask: Does architecturally reimagining the surface of the earth mean that one is inherently Heideggerian? The landscape is extended, no longer serving as mere ground, or foundation, but structure.

Excerpted from BLDGBLOG's Network Hydrology

11 comments:

Ogg the Caveman said...

Murst! Sweet finds.

Akubi said...

I thought the Senate's warrantless spying vote today was telling: The vote also provided an opportunity to showcase the key differences on national security between presidential candidates, as Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) voted against immunity for telecoms, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), voted to keep immunity in the bill. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) did not show up for the vote. All three candidates were in the Washington area Tuesday morning for the region's three primaries.

Anonymous said...

Gnarly waves. :)

Ogg the Caveman said...

It would be nice to get back to the rule of law around here. Is that too much to ask?

Akubi said...

Woohoo! Obama just made an anti-Exxon statement in his winning speech!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Akubi said...

@Buzz saw,
Why do you always have to rain on my f-ing parade?
Taking on Exxon is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

Why do you always have to rain on my f-ing parade?

Sorry.

Akubi said...

@Buzz saw,
You didn't have to delete your comment. I was being somewhat hyperbolic.

Anonymous said...

Hi akubi,

I didn't realize that I was "always" raining on your parade. I get accused of that at home sometimes too. My point was that I am afraid to be hopeful for B.O. to get elected, because our gubbermint is so corrupt, that's all.

Akubi said...

I didn't realize that I was "always" raining on your parade.
You aren't - that's why I said I was being hyperbolic.