Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Vacation Snapshots - Octopus Coming Soon!

In the random patchwork of places I've been around the world, I somehow missed Portland, but I've been reading more and more about how good the restaurants are so here I am in a pretty impressive hotel. Ever since I was a kid, I've always liked slightly strange old hotels with maze-like rooms (hence the appeal of The Shining). The Monaco Portland has the added Alice-in-Wonderland-having-a-tea-party charm that is particularly appealing. No, this is not a paid advertisement for the place, but I've been quite aesthetically pleased with the overall situation since I arrived.
While I'm here, perhaps I might even run into Stephanie J with her big boots and jeep...
Anyway, I like the way everything appears to be under construction or retrofitting around here - and the people seem to be significantly friendlier than those in the Bay Area.
Yeah, the images are rather blurry, but there are some pretty groovy philosophers on the entertainment cabinet.
Groovy painting.
Groovy fireplace.
Groovy dog. They are quite pet friendly here and I met some very nice dogs during the free wine reception by the fire.
Peggy Harkins' Turkish Delight per below...

6 comments:

Ogg the Caveman said...

Murst!

Looks nice...

Mitchell said...

The sage of Portland!

Akubi said...

@Ogg,
Yes, it is nice - and a sweet deal too!

@Mitchell,
You sure have a knack for finding interesting characters online!

Anonymous said...

Sunny day, it's gonna be, A-OK...

Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?

Good morning to you, good morning to you.

I've only been west of the Rockies twice, both times to Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing.

Akubi said...

@buzz saw,
Actually, I've never been to Las Vegas. Gambling and deserts have never held much appeal, but I should check it out one of these days.

In a description of the hotel's pet friendly program, I came across the following (seriously): DON'T BE KOI! SLEEP WITH THE FISHES
As part of its Guppy Love program, each Kimpton hotel will deliver a companion goldfish to hotel guest rooms. Guests wishing to "sleep with the fishes" can request their own complimentary goldfish when making a reservation or when they check-in.

I'll have request my koi!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!

One of these days I will take a picture of my stress relieving little rubber pig. It is pink, and it says: "Are you an energy hog?" on the side of it.

Good fun!

TTFN!