Saturday, October 20, 2007

To gym or not to gym

Well, I woke up with a sore throat this morning so I figure it's as good a reason as any to waste time online when there's a million other things I should be dealing with.
Anyway the topic of gyms came up on a recent EN thread and I have a problem with them (note to Edgar: yes, Greg could benefit from *some* form of exercise). Can someone please explain why people drive their cars to gyms in order to ride stationary bikes and pay a fee for the privilege? I don't get it.
I have yet to understand why my mother spends 45 minutes driving to an outrageously overpriced gym to do yoga. In the amount of time she spends driving to the gym, she could have completed the task at home and saved money, time and gas. She claims she likes the teachers and the steam room, but as far as I'm concern those benefits don't justify the cost.
In some cases where one might require that exotic equipment to workout, I can understand their reasoning, but for the most part I'm puzzled.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I see a parking lot full of gym attendees I shake my head and wonder why. Is it the social aspect? Do some people feel a primordial need to sweat in a room with other people?

Artwork: yoga mirror by ~Atmaniv

10 comments:

Ogg the Caveman said...

Obligatory

Having just taken care of my errands, gotten a workout, and found my bike's weight limit all in one shot, I tend to agree. (Fun fact: me + bike + groceries = 260 lbs.) However, most gym rats *do* have reasons that make sense to them. For the stationary bike, which I think is the silliest thing to go to the gym for, there are a few factors. Most Americans don't know how to ride safely in traffic and have an exaggerated sense of the dangers. The gym comes stocked with hotter members of the opposite sex than the outside world. Also, most stationary bikes these days have displays that give seriously inflated calories-burned numbers.

The gym probably makes sense for people who are into weight training. It's probably cheaper, safer, and more practical for most people to go to the gym for that.

Ogg the Caveman said...

Advertising is probably as big a factor as anything though. The message of most gym commercials is "you'll get fit", not "you'll get exercise".

Akubi said...

As far as yoga is concerned, some even do it on train tracks. BTW I'm now inspired to do a complete yoga series on ZB to illustrate the various non-gym options.

Anonymous said...

Hi akubi,

Really I was just looking for a dig on Greggy boy, not trying to extol the virtues of the Y or anything. However, Swann, being a notorious Realtor®, I expect he would be afraid to go outside for fresh air and exercise in the Phoenix area, he might run into an old client or something. He would probably prefer to go somewhere that provides security & allows him to meet new people to take advantage of in business dealings. However, he doesn't strike me as the type to tighten those abs any time soon. I really don't have much room to talk myself, I am not much of physical specimen these days, and I am a cheapskate to boot, that and I am totally paranoid about gym germs. I'll take my chances with the traffic on my bike.

Ogg the Caveman said...

To be fair, Swan could have a 6 pack.

Behind the keg.

Akubi said...

No, I certainly can't see Swan featured in the latest video with Marketa the cave woman.

Those gym germs freak me out too. Especially considering the recent reports of deadly staph infections spread that route.

wagga said...

I sometimes ride out to a cafe which is located next to a gym. Part of the charm is watching SUVs circling round to get the parking spot closest to the door.

FlyingMonkeyWarrior said...

I agree and I walk, walk, and walk.
I walk my 2 little dogs three times a day, I walk up and down the 4 flights of stairs to the city street rather than taking the elevator, and I walk to the festivals and concerts downtown, I walk to the 5 story garage to and from my car multiple times a day.
All free. Living here reminds me of a big campus.
I would like a bike though. I think I will get one.

Akubi said...

@FMW,
What sort of dogs do you have?
I've been sick with some sort of cold or flu or something all weekend and my boys, Akubi and Tanuki, are acting out because I haven't taken them for a walk.

Ogg the Caveman said...

It gets worse.