Thursday, June 7, 2007

In my breakfast cereal box all I found was breakfast cereal...

I really need to move that image off the top of the blog page, but I'm a bit distracted watching Close Encounters for the 2759th time.

Where are my Nietzsche Pops?
So as I may have mentioned before, I've been sorting through old crap my parents are tired of storing in their attic and came across Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. It was in a box that included my first embroidered DisneyLand Mickey Mouse hat and other useless junk only a mom would save. When I was about the age of the kid ("look with care for the shape of a square...") in Close Encounters it was my favorite book, yet I had completely forgotten about it.


I love this line and Alexander's expression:


At breakfast Anthony found a Corvette Sting Ray car kit in his breakfast cereal box and Nick found a Junior Undercover Agent code ring in his breakfast cereal box but in my breakfast cereal box all I found was breakfast cereal.


As I recall, I felt even more cheated than Alexander, because we never had cereal that included a toy prize inside. I wonder if Nigel did?


Koi is a type of fish On to other random news in the blogosphere.


For some reason this MONDO SCHLOCKO image brought to mind our favorite dynamic duo.


I may need to rethink the 6 Degrees of Casey Serin game I had in mind for today. It's probably too easy...

Yet another update...

Bizarre blog post of the morning: The Groovy Age of Horror: SERIE NON STOP 1: Uomini e Sangue (Men and Blood), part 2
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

11 comments:

Gypsy Pete said...

so many posts so little time :)

flailing forward said...

It's funny that you mention cereal, as I was just angered by the sorry state of the cereal industry the other day. Not only did they PC-ify Cookie Crisp (there's no more Cookie Crook, and the dog is no longer a criminal), but there are either no prizes at all or the miserable excuses that they try to substitute are an affront to my dignity as a cereal enthusiast.

No, I don't want some stupid propaganda CD. No, I don't want some stupid code that gives me the right to join a stupid mailing list. I want tangible worthless plastic or metal items that plop into my bowl with a splash and are cool for about 3 minutes, then totally forgotten. No coupons, codes, or games printed on the box. I don't want to read about Tony the Tiger's favorite extreme sport. I don't care how many ghosts are hidden in the picture on the back of the Boo-Berry box. I want a crappy plastic toaster gun that shoots Cinnamon Toast Crunch bullets at my little brother like the olde days. (Happy Meals still come with crappy toys. Yet it is socially taboo for me as a grown man to order one. How is this fair?)

This is the reason that Casey and other Gen Y-ers are so confused. They have been denied a childhood worth living by corporate cost-cutting and are now devoid of any form of soul.

Chairman Mao foresaw that this was the inevitable conclusion to capitalism and made an effort to stop it, but was thwarted by his cosmic connection to Casey Serin. Had he succeeded, the world would be a very different place. Cereal boxes would be full of toys with a tiny packet of cereal hidden inside.

Anonymous said...

Best cereal of all time easily is Quisp. Sugar glazed sugar. It was sold again recently (bought some online) and kept the boxes to remember a great childhood.

Ak, this blog is seriously gettin' pimped out with all da' gadgetz, yo.

Anonymous said...

Quisp background for all the kiddies.

Akubi said...

I have quite a bit to say about breakfast cereal and my childhood cereal envy issues, but the W-2 is getting in the way.
For starters...
I was always stuck with the healthy, organic cereal that often didn’t even come in a box, but a bag of all things...And to make matters worse it was never featured in those tantalizing Saturday morning cartoon commercials. To compensate, I spent a lot of time hanging out with friends whose parents provided impressive cereal collections. They could never understand why I coveted the stupid toys inside and so enjoyed reading every word on the box.

Akubi said...

Speaking of reading every word on the box, yesterday I happened to notice that my all-time favorite Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap is 100% VEGAN. Never noticed that before...

Akubi said...

One last thing before I return to focusing on what I'm supposed to be doing.
FF, If you want to order a Happy Meal, why not? Who cares a flying f? For casual wear, I still shop in the boy's department (and receive confused stares in the process), because the clothes are much cheaper and better made.

Nigel’s Guest Blogger,
I don’t remember Quisp. The cereals I always wished my mom would buy were Cap’n Crunch, Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms among many others, but those were the top 3. Oh, I intend to add even more pimped out gagetz.

Akubi said...

I wonder how much melamine would be included in Chairman Mao's tiny packet of cereal...

Gypsy Pete said...

Akubi - I sent you a linkedin invite....

flailing forward said...

Of the Cap'n Crunch line, my fave was Crunch Berries. I always thought it could have been vastly improved by leaving out the Cap'n Crunch and having all Crunch Berries. A while back I saw that they released an All Berries version, but they had added multiple berry flavors (rather than the single mystery flavor of olde) and ruined it. It was the equivalent of Trix. Bah. Never heard of Quisp, but it looks good. Brands dear to my heart are Cookie Crisp, Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch, Boo-Berry (it makes you poop blue), and Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the unbelievably sweet awesome abomination of all time. It turns the milk into syrup. Instant child hyperactivity!

Akubi said...

Flailing,
You must have had one of those cool moms who actually bought the good cereal rather than the boring organic hippy crap in a bag. If you're never, ever going to see plain old Cap'n Crunch on your breakfast table, how can you even begin considering Crunch Berries, All Berries and Peanut Butter Crunch?
However, I recall enjoying Boo-Berry, Crunch Berries and Cookie Crisp at friends' houses, but not being terribly fond of Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Peanut Butter Crunch. Never tried Berries, but I thought Trix was overrated.